Meaning & Definition of Foreign in English
1. Of concern to or concerning the affairs of other nations (other than your own)
- "Foreign trade"
- "A foreign office"
2. Relating to or originating in or characteristic of another place or part of the world
- "Foreign nations"
- "A foreign accent"
- "On business in a foreign city"
- foreign ,
3. Not contained in or deriving from the essential nature of something
- "An economic theory alien to the spirit of capitalism"
- "The mysticism so foreign to the french mind and temper"
- "Jealousy is foreign to her nature"
- alien ,
4. Not belonging to that in which it is contained
- Introduced from an outside source
- "Water free of extraneous matter"
- "Foreign particles in milk"
- extraneous ,