Meaning & Definition of Foil in English
1. A piece of thin and flexible sheet metal
- "The photographic film was wrapped in foil"
2. Anything that serves by contrast to call attention to another thing's good qualities
- "Pretty girls like plain friends as foils"
3. A device consisting of a flat or curved piece (as a metal plate) so that its surface reacts to the water it is passing through
- "The fins of a fish act as hydrofoils"
4. Picture consisting of a positive photograph or drawing on a transparent base
- Viewed with a projector
5. A light slender flexible sword tipped by a button
1. Enhance by contrast
- "In this picture, the figures are foiled against the background"
2. Hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of
- "What ultimately frustrated every challenger was ruth's amazing september surge"
- "Foil your opponent"
3. Cover or back with foil
- "Foil mirrors"