Meaning & Definition of Explain in English
1. Make plain and comprehensible
- "He explained the laws of physics to his students"
- explain ,
- "The committee explained their plan for fund-raising to the dean"
3. Serve as a reason or cause or justification of
- "Your need to sleep late does not excuse your late arrival at work"
- "Her recent divorce may explain her reluctance to date again"
- excuse ,
Examples of using
My refusal to explain exempts me from the poll.
I'll explain it all to you later.
I'll explain this later.