Meaning & Definition of Employ in English
1. The state of being employed or having a job
- "They are looking for employment"
- "He was in the employ of the city"
- employment ,
1. Put into service
- Make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose
- "Use your head!"
- "We only use spanish at home"
- "I can't use this tool"
- "Apply a magnetic field here"
- "This thinking was applied to many projects"
- "How do you utilize this tool?"
- "I apply this rule to get good results"
- "Use the plastic bags to store the food"
- "He doesn't know how to use a computer"
- use ,
- utilize ,
- utilise ,
- apply ,
2. Engage or hire for work
- "They hired two new secretaries in the department"
- "How many people has she employed?"
- hire ,
- engage ,
Examples of using
Japanese education is sometimes said to employ the drill and kill method.
They have been in my employ for five years.
I will employ the girl, because she can speak French.