Meaning & Definition of Double in English
1. A base hit on which the batter stops safely at second base
- "He hit a double to deep centerfield"
- two-base hit,
2. A stand-in for movie stars to perform dangerous stunts
- "His first job in hollywood was as a double for clark gable"
- stunt man,
- stunt woman
3. Someone who closely resembles a famous person (especially an actor)
- "He could be gingrich's double"
- "She's the very image of her mother"
4. A quantity that is twice as great as another
- "36 is the double of 18"
5. Raising the stakes in a card game by a factor of 2
- "I decided his double was a bluff"
1. Increase twofold
- "The population doubled within 50 years"
2. Hit a two-base hit
3. Bend over or curl up, usually with laughter or pain
- "He doubled and vomited violently"
- double over,
- double up
4. Do double duty
- Serve two purposes or have two functions
- "She doubles as his wife and secretary"
5. Bridge: make a demand for (a card or suit)
6. Make or do or perform again
- "He could never replicate his brilliant performance of the magic trick"
1. Having more than one decidedly dissimilar aspects or qualities
- "A double (or dual) role for an actor"
- "The office of a clergyman is twofold
- Public preaching and private influence"- r.w.emerson
- "Every episode has its double and treble meaning"-frederick harrison
2. Consisting of or involving two parts or components usually in pairs
- "An egg with a double yolk"
- "A double (binary) star"
- "Double doors"
- "Dual controls for pilot and copilot"
- "Duple (or double) time consists of two (or a multiple of two) beats to a measure"
3. Twice as great or many
- "Ate a double portion"
- "The dose is doubled"
- "A twofold increase"
4. Used of flowers having more than the usual number of petals in crowded or overlapping arrangements
- "Double chrysanthemums have many rows of petals and are usually spherical or hemispherical"
5. Used of homologous chromosomes associated in pairs in synapsis
6. Large enough for two
- "A double bed"
- "A double room"
7. Having two meanings with intent to deceive
- "A sly double meaning"
- "Spoke with forked tongue"
1. Downward and forward
- "He was bent double with pain"
2. Two together
- "Some people sleep better double"
3. To double the degree
- "She was doubly rewarded"
- "His eyes were double bright"