Meaning & Definition of Distinction in English
1. A discrimination between things as different and distinct
- "It is necessary to make a distinction between love and infatuation"
- differentiation ,
2. High status importance owing to marked superiority
- "A scholar of great eminence"
- eminence ,
- distinction ,
- preeminence ,
3. A distinguishing quality
- "It has the distinction of being the cheapest restaurant in town"
4. A distinguishing difference
- "He learned the distinction between gold and lead"
Examples of using
That distinction was well-deserved.
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.