Meaning & Definition of Derive in English
1. Reason by deduction
- Establish by deduction
- "Derive pleasure from one's garden"
3. Come from
- "The present name derives from an older form"
4. Develop or evolve from a latent or potential state
5. Come from
- Be connected by a relationship of blood, for example
- "She was descended from an old italian noble family"
- "He comes from humble origins"
Examples of using
A wise man can derive gold even from pus.
Superstitions derive from the inability of men to acknowledge that coincidences are merely coincidences.
We can derive great pleasure from books.