Meaning & Definition of Contrary in English
1. A relation of direct opposition
- "We thought sue was older than bill but just the reverse was true"
- reverse ,
- contrary ,
2. Exact opposition
- "Public opinion to the contrary he is not guilty"
3. A logical relation such that two propositions are contraries if both cannot be true but both can be false
1. Very opposed in nature or character or purpose
- "Acts contrary to our code of ethics"
- "The facts point to a contrary conclusion"
2. Of words or propositions so related that both cannot be true but both may be false
- "`hot' and `cold' are contrary terms"
3. Resistant to guidance or discipline
- "Mary mary quite contrary"
- "An obstinate child with a violent temper"
- "A perverse mood"
- "Wayward behavior"
- contrary ,
- obstinate ,
- perverse ,
4. In an opposing direction
- "Adverse currents"
- "A contrary wind"
- adverse ,
Examples of using
Lingvanex products for translation of text, images, voice, documents:
- Translation app for MAC
- Translator for PC
- Translation app for Iphone
- Translation app for Android
- Translate Extension for Firefox
- Language translation Bot for Slack
- Translate Extension for Chrome
- Translate Extension for Opera
- Phone Call Translator app
- Voice assistant for Translation - Amazon Alexa, Cortana