Meaning & Definition of Consume in English
1. Eat immoderately
- "Some people can down a pound of meat in the course of one meal"
- go through
2. Serve oneself to, or consume regularly
- "Have another bowl of chicken soup!"
- "I don't take sugar in my coffee"
- take in,
3. Spend extravagantly
- "Waste not, want not"
4. Destroy completely
- "The fire consumed the building"
5. Use up (resources or materials)
- "This car consumes a lot of gas"
- "We exhausted our savings"
- "They run through 20 bottles of wine a week"
- eat up,
- use up,
- run through,
- wipe out
6. Engage fully
- "The effort to pass the exam consumed all his energy"