Meaning & Definition of Construction in English
1. The act of constructing something
- "During the construction we had to take a detour"
- "His hobby was the building of boats"
2. A group of words that form a constituent of a sentence and are considered as a single unit
- "I concluded from his awkward constructions that he was a foreigner"
- grammatical construction,
3. The creation of a construct
- The process of combining ideas into a congruous object of thought
- mental synthesis
4. A thing constructed
- A complex entity constructed of many parts
- "The structure consisted of a series of arches"
- "She wore her hair in an amazing construction of whirls and ribbons"
5. Drawing a figure satisfying certain conditions as part of solving a problem or proving a theorem
- "The assignment was to make a construction that could be used in proving the pythagorean theorem"
6. An interpretation of a text or action
- "They put an unsympathetic construction on his conduct"
7. The commercial activity involved in repairing old structures or constructing new ones
- "Their main business is home construction"
- "Workers in the building trades"