Meaning & Definition of Club in English
1. A team of professional baseball players who play and travel together
- "Each club played six home games with teams in its own division"
- baseball club,
- ball club,
2. A formal association of people with similar interests
- "He joined a golf club"
- "They formed a small lunch society"
- "Men from the fraternal order will staff the soup kitchen today"
- social club,
3. Stout stick that is larger at one end
- "He carried a club in self defense"
- "He felt as if he had been hit with a club"
4. A building that is occupied by a social club
- "The clubhouse needed a new roof"
5. Golf equipment used by a golfer to hit a golf ball
- golf club,
6. A playing card in the minor suit that has one or more black trefoils on it
- "He led a small club"
- "Clubs were trumps"
7. A spot that is open late at night and that provides entertainment (as singers or dancers) as well as dancing and food and drink
- "Don't expect a good meal at a cabaret"
- "The gossip columnist got his information by visiting nightclubs every night"
- "He played the drums at a jazz club"
- night club,
1. Unite with a common purpose
- "The two men clubbed together"
2. Gather and spend time together
- "They always club together"
3. Strike with a club or a bludgeon
4. Gather into a club-like mass
- "Club hair"