Meaning & Definition of Circus in English
1. A travelling company of entertainers
- Including trained animals
- "He ran away from home to join the circus"
2. A performance given by a traveling company of acrobats, clowns, and trained animals
- "The children always love to go to the circus"
3. A frenetic disorganized (and often comic) disturbance suggestive of a large public entertainment
- "It was so funny it was a circus"
- "The whole occasion had a carnival atmosphere"
- circus ,
4. (antiquity) an open-air stadium for chariot races and gladiatorial games
5. An arena consisting of an oval or circular area enclosed by tiers of seats and usually covered by a tent
- "They used the elephants to help put up the circus"
6. A genus of haws comprising the harriers
- Circus ,
- genus Circus