Meaning & Definition of Certainly in English
1. Definitely or positively (`sure' is sometimes used informally for `surely')
- "The results are surely encouraging"
- "She certainly is a hard worker"
- "It's going to be a good day for sure"
- "They are coming, for certain"
- "They thought he had been killed sure enough"
- "He'll win sure as shooting"
- "They sure smell good"
- "Sure he'll come"
- surely ,
- certainly ,
- sure ,
- for sure ,
- for certain ,
- sure enough ,
- sure as shooting
Examples of using
You certainly picked a nice time to start an argument.
You are certainly homesick.
Tom certainly cut loose at that party.