Meaning & Definition of Ceremony in English
1. A formal event performed on a special occasion
- "A ceremony commemorating pearl harbor"
- ceremony ,
- ceremonial ,
- ceremonial occasion ,
2. Any activity that is performed in an especially solemn elaborate or formal way
- "The ceremony of smelling the cork and tasting the wine"
- "He makes a ceremony of addressing his golf ball"
- "He disposed of it without ceremony"
3. The proper or conventional behavior on some solemn occasion
- "An inaugural ceremony"
Examples of using
We agreed it would be a small ceremony.
Less than a week after the matriculation ceremony, Tom already had a hundred friends.
They filmed the entire ceremony.