Meaning & Definition of Celebrate in English
1. Behave as expected during of holidays or rites
- "Keep the commandments"
- "Celebrate christmas"
- "Observe yom kippur"
- observe ,
- celebrate ,
2. Have a celebration
- "They were feting the patriarch of the family"
- "After the exam, the students were celebrating"
- celebrate ,
3. Assign great social importance to
- "The film director was celebrated all over hollywood"
- "The tenor was lionized in vienna"
- lionize ,
- lionise ,
Examples of using
The UN has made November 20 Universal Children's Day. On this date, we celebrate the adoption of the Declaration on the Rights of the Child. In Brazil, Children's Day is October 12.
After a few years in place of "The international language of Dr. Esperanto" the short name "Esperanto" came into use. Therefore on this day we celebrate all over the world the 125th anniversary of Esperanto.
Today we celebrate Africa Day.
I am happy I still get to celebrate Thanksgiving with them!
We'll have to celebrate the winter solstice.
It's a custom to celebrate Christmas.
Do they celebrate Mother's Day in your native country?
In China, they celebrate New Year by the lunar calendar.
We celebrate Christmas every year.
Lingvanex products for translation of text, images, voice, documents:
- Translation app for MAC
- Translator for PC
- Translation app for Iphone
- Translation app for Android
- Translate Extension for Firefox
- Language translation Bot for Slack
- Translate Extension for Chrome
- Translate Extension for Opera
- Phone Call Translator app
- Voice assistant for Translation - Amazon Alexa, Cortana