Meaning & Definition of Buck in English
1. A gymnastic horse without pommels and with one end elongated
- Used lengthwise for vaulting
- vaulting horse,
- long horse,
2. A piece of paper money worth one dollar
- dollar bill,
- one dollar bill,
3. United states author whose novels drew on her experiences as a missionary in china (1892-1973)
- Pearl Buck,
- Pearl Sydenstricker Buck
4. A framework for holding wood that is being sawed
5. Mature male of various mammals (especially deer or antelope)
1. To strive with determination
- "John is bucking for a promotion"
- "Buck the trend"
- go against
3. Move quickly and violently
- "The car tore down the street"
- "He came charging into my office"
- shoot down,
4. Jump vertically, with legs stiff and back arched
- "The yung filly bucked"