Meaning & Definition of Before in English
1. Earlier in time
- "I had known her before"
- "As i said before"
- "He called me the day before but your call had come even earlier"
- "Her parents had died four years earlier"
- "I mentioned that problem earlier"
- earlier ,
2. At or in the front
- "I see the lights of a town ahead"
- "The road ahead is foggy"
- "Staring straight ahead"
- "We couldn't see over the heads of the people in front"
- "With the cross of jesus marching on before"
- ahead ,
- in front ,
Examples of using
Let me add a few words before you seal the letter.
Run over your part again before the rehearsal.
The soil will have to be plowed before we start planting.