Meaning & Definition of Associate in English
1. A person who joins with others in some activity or endeavor
- "He had to consult his associate before continuing"
2. A friend who is frequently in the company of another
- "Drinking companions"
- "Comrades in arms"
- companion ,
- comrade ,
- fellow ,
- familiar ,
3. A person with subordinate membership in a society, institution, or commercial enterprise
- "Associates in the law firm bill at a lower rate than do partners"
4. Any event that usually accompanies or is closely connected with another
- "First was the lightning and then its thunderous associate"
5. A degree granted by a two-year college on successful completion of the undergraduates course of studies
- associate degree ,
1. Make a logical or causal connection
- "I cannot connect these two pieces of evidence in my mind"
- "Colligate these facts"
- "I cannot relate these events at all"
- associate ,
- tie in ,
- relate ,
- link ,
- colligate ,
- link up ,
2. Keep company with
- Hang out with
- "He associates with strange people"
- "She affiliates with her colleagues"
- consort ,
- associate ,
- affiliate ,
3. Bring or come into association or action
- "The churches consociated to fight their dissolution"
- consociate ,
1. Having partial rights and privileges or subordinate status
- "An associate member"
- "An associate professor"