Meaning & Definition of Appropriate in English
1. Give or assign a resource to a particular person or cause
- "I will earmark this money for your research"
- "She sets aside time for meditation every day"
- set aside,
2. Take possession of by force, as after an invasion
- "The invaders seized the land and property of the inhabitants"
- "The army seized the town"
- "The militia captured the castle"
1. Suitable for a particular person or place or condition etc
- "A book not appropriate for children"
- "A funeral conducted the appropriate solemnity"
- "It seems that an apology is appropriate"
Examples of using
However, the moment was not very appropriate.
Next time, you should wear something more appropriate.
Can you recommend an appropriate dictionary?