Meaning & Definition of Apply in English
1. Put into service
- Make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose
- "Use your head!"
- "We only use spanish at home"
- "I can't use this tool"
- "Apply a magnetic field here"
- "This thinking was applied to many projects"
- "How do you utilize this tool?"
- "I apply this rule to get good results"
- "Use the plastic bags to store the food"
- "He doesn't know how to use a computer"
- use ,
- utilize ,
- utilise ,
- apply ,
2. Be pertinent or relevant or applicable
- "The same laws apply to you!"
- "This theory holds for all irrational numbers"
- "The same rules go for everyone"
- apply ,
- hold ,
- go for
3. Ask (for something)
- "He applied for a leave of absence"
- "She applied for college"
- "Apply for a job"
4. Apply to a surface
- "She applied paint to the back of the house"
- "Put on make-up!"
- put on ,
5. Be applicable to
- As to an analysis
- "This theory lends itself well to our new data"
- lend oneself ,
6. Give or convey physically
- "She gave him first aid"
- "I gave him a punch in the nose"
- give ,
7. Avail oneself to
- "Apply a principle"
- "Practice a religion"
- "Use care when going down the stairs"
- "Use your common sense"
- "Practice non-violent resistance"
- practice ,
- apply ,
8. Ensure observance of laws and rules
- "Apply the rules to everyone"
- enforce ,
- implement ,
9. Refer (a word or name) to a person or thing
- "He applied this racial slur to me!"
10. Apply oneself to
- "Please apply yourself to your homework"
Examples of using
Lingvanex products for translation of text, images, voice, documents:
- Translation app for MAC
- Translator for PC
- Translation app for Iphone
- Translation app for Android
- Translate Extension for Firefox
- Language translation Bot for Slack
- Translate Extension for Chrome
- Translate Extension for Opera
- Phone Call Translator app
- Voice assistant for Translation - Amazon Alexa, Cortana