Meaning & Definition of Anticipate in English
1. Regard something as probable or likely
- "The meteorologists are expecting rain for tomorrow"
2. Act in advance of
- Deal with ahead of time
3. Realize beforehand
4. Make a prediction about
- Tell in advance
- "Call the outcome of an election"
5. Be excited or anxious about
- look for,
- look to
6. Be a forerunner of or occur earlier than
- "This composition anticipates impressionism"
Examples of using
Hit the brakes, darling. We should test our feelings. We don't know each other well enough, I'm not used to anticipate the events.
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell and make you eagerly anticipate the trip.
I couldn't anticipate that that would happen.