Meaning & Definition of Alibi in English
1. (law) a defense by an accused person purporting to show that he or she could not have committed the crime in question
2. A defense of some offensive behavior or some failure to keep a promise etc.
- "He kept finding excuses to stay"
- "Every day he had a new alibi for not getting a job"
- "His transparent self-justification was unacceptable"
- excuse ,
- alibi ,
- exculpation ,
1. Exonerate by means of an alibi
Examples of using
His alibi seemed perfect.
Tom had no alibi.
Tom has an alibi.