Meaning & Definition of Addition in English
1. A component that is added to something to improve it
- "The addition of a bathroom was a major improvement"
- "The addition of cinnamon improved the flavor"
2. The act of adding one thing to another
- "The addition of flowers created a pleasing effect"
- "The addition of a leap day every four years"
3. A quantity that is added
- "There was an addition to property taxes this year"
- "They recorded the cattle's gain in weight over a period of weeks"
4. Something added to what you already have
- "The librarian shelved the new accessions"
- "He was a new addition to the staff"
5. A suburban area laid out in streets and lots for a future residential area
6. The arithmetic operation of summing
- Calculating the sum of two or more numbers
- "The summation of four and three gives seven"
- "Four plus three equals seven"