Meaning & Definition of Able in English
1. (usually followed by `to') having the necessary means or skill or know-how or authority to do something
- "Able to swim"
- "She was able to program her computer"
- "We were at last able to buy a car"
- "Able to get a grant for the project"
2. Have the skills and qualifications to do things well
- "Able teachers"
- "A capable administrator"
- "Children as young as 14 can be extremely capable and dependable"
- able ,
3. Having inherent physical or mental ability or capacity
- "Able to learn"
- "Human beings are able to walk on two feet"
- "Superman is able to leap tall buildings"
4. Having a strong healthy body
- "An able seaman"
- "Every able-bodied young man served in the army"
- able ,
Examples of using
I'm glad Tom was able to see you while you were in Boston.
I won't be able to remit the balance until the first of the month.
We haven't been able to get anyone to replace Tom.